Awards and Distinctions:
- Column editor forThe ALAN (Assembly on Literature for Adolescents) Review, 2003-2009.
- English Journals2002 Edwin M. Hopkins Award for the outstanding article by a college professor to appear inEnglish Journalover the previous two years.
- 2001 Distinguished Service Award from the Iowa Council of Teachers of English for contributions to English Education in Iowa.
- Teaching Writing Teachers(a collection of original chapters by writing methods course teachers from around the country), William Broz and Robert Tremmel (eds.). Portsmouth, NH: Heinemann, 2002.
Book Chapters Published:
- Reasons for Writing/Reasons for Grading: Conceptual Approaches for Processing Student Papers in English Classes.More Ways to Handle the Paper Load. Ed. Jeff Golub. Urbana: NCTE, 2005.
- Personal and Distant Mentors (book chapter on teaching writing methods for pre-service secondary English teachers).Teaching Writing Teachers. Eds. William Broz and Robert Tremmel. Portsmouth, NH: Heinemann, 2002.
- “A Pedagogy of Community and Collaboration: A Beginning.Teaching in the 21st Century: Adapting Writing Pedagogies to the College Curriculum.Eds. Alice Robertson and Barbara Smith. New York: Falmer Press, 1999.
Research Articles (refereed):
- Supporting Am I Blue: A Rural Midwestern Reconsideration Committee and School Board Vote to Take No Action to Remove Am I Blue (article on censorship). Journal of Adolescent and Adult Literacy of the International Reading Association, February, 2002.
- Hope and Irony: Annie on My Mind (article on adolescent literature and sexual orientation). English Journal, July 2001. [Winner ofEnglish JournalsEdwin M. Hopkins Award for the outstanding article by a college professor to appear inEnglish Journalover the previous two years,2002.]
- “Vygotsky and the Bad Speller’s Nightmare” (article on literacy). English Journal80.8 (1991): 65-70.
- “10 Reasons to Write for Your Students.”English Journal77.5 (1988): 73-76.
- “Lessons from a Country School” (article on remedial reading and peer tutoring). English Journal 73.8 (1984): 36-37.
- Associate Professor of English Education, Department of English,University of Texas Rio Grande Valley, Coordinator of English Education, beginning Fall 2007, teaching childrens and adolescent literature and secondary English methods.
- Associate Professor of English, Department of English Language and Literature, University of Northern Iowa, 2000-2007, teaching composition, literature, methods of teaching writing, and the personal essay.
- Assistant Professor of English, Department of English and Journalism, Coordinator of English Education, Western Illinois University, 1997-2000, teaching writing and English education.
- Teacher of High School English and composition in Iowa, 1972-1997
- Ph.D., English Education, The University of Iowa, December 1996
- Fields of concentration: English Education, composition pedagogy and theory
- Dissertation: “Growing Reflective Practitioners: Metaphor, Ritual, and Symbol– Knowledge for Teacher Change in a Summer Writing Project” (Committee Members: Bonnie Sunstein, chair; James Marshall, Richard Lloyd-Jones, and Anne DiPardo)
- M.A.,English Education, The University of Iowa 1976
- B.A.,English, The University of Iowa 1972
- Fiction: Denis Johnson and Gail Godwin
- Poetry: Denis Johnson and Gerald Stern
- Literary Nonfiction: Carl Klaus
- Books for Young Adults: G. Robert Carlsen
- Academic Writing in Literary Studies: Richard Lloyd-Jones, John Gerber, Bonnie Sunstein, James Marshall